"Utter TRASH!" - Me
How many Bad Dragon dildos could you buy for $17k?
For 17,000 dollars you could buy 170 dragon dildos or 85 extra large Chance the Stallion dragon dildos with the flared base, but a relationship with Jesus is priceless please go to church
For $17,000 dollars you could buy 239 box sets (season 1-6) of the big bang theory or you could buy 850 Sheldon masks. That's a whole lot of bazinga
Someone should photoshop the ball pit with Bad Dragon dildos in it instead of balls.
If anyone actually does this, I will probably print it out and hang it on my wall or something
I’m gonna attempt this. I just need a pic of the ball pit and a bunch of Bad Dragon stock pics (which I already have).
good luck soldier
Here it is 17000dollars, the finished product of about 7 hours of work and wrist strain.
Jfc they did it
TWO SEPARATE PEOPLE PHOTOSHOPPED A PILE OF EXPENSIVE DRAGON DILDOS INTO THE DASHCON BALL PIT
THIS IS IT
THIS IS MY TUMBLR LEGACY
You seem to really not like DashCon. Is it, like, the worst-of-the-worst con? (I really don't know, the only ones I properly know of are ones like SDCC and NYCC)
DashCon is a first-year fandom convention for Tumblr users. It is happening this weekend and turning into possibly the largest convention kerfuffle anyone has ever seen.
- Due to the DashCon staff done diddly goofin’ by not putting a payment schedule in their hotel reservation contract, they were asked to pay $20,000 by 10 PM last night or the convention would be kicked out of the hotel. They asked attendees and Tumblr users to donate $17,000 via PayPal and cash to keep the con going - and they supposedly raised all of the money. Con attendees then piled into the ballroom to do Mockingjay salutes and wail Freddie Mercury songs to celebrate them falling for what is suspected to be a scam (as people have contacted the hotel to ask about this “$17,000 fee” and the hotel reportedly has no idea what they’re talking about).
- You can attend wonderfully informative panels like this at DashCon:
- DashCon claimed there would be 3,000-7,000 attendees. There are 1,000 at most and all of them are white kids in flower crowns who are rioting for the anti-sexualization of women in media while simultaneously running panels about “homoerotic subtext in fandoms and finding the gay ships for YOUR fandoms!!!”
- The con didn’t have the money to cover WTNV’s transportation and performance fees. When WTNV asked them to pay the remainder of their performance fee prior to the panel beginning, DashCon was unable to do so, and WTNV walked out as they are positively free to do because what the fuck you don’t invite keystone guests if you aren’t able to pay their fees upfront (and showing them your PayPal balance on a smartphone absolutely does not count).
- It’s being speculated that Steam Powered Giraffe was not even booked properly in the first place.
- A full weekend badge was $65 dollars for a first-year fandom con jesus christ that’s almost the price of most full-fledged comic cons.
The list continues but so far it’s only the con’s second day and it is quite literally the most dramatic, hysterically cringe-worthy convention debacle I have ever seen unfold.
Adding some updates as of 7/12 at 7:35 PM EST:
- The game room consists of some tables, one TV, and one gaming console. No, really, that’s it.
- DashCon proves they have possibly the worst PR team ever when addressing the WTNV cancellation. Instead of clearly explaining the situation, they say they “don’t want to get into it,” and then offer compensation for those who bought advanced seating tickets for the Night Vale show. What’s the compensation? An extra hour playing in the ball pit (which is really just a slowly-deflating children’s pool with some balls in it). Oh, and if there’s room, you may get one of the first-come-first-serve spots at the Time Crash concert happening tonight. Huzzah!
- Most panels are completely disorganized. The “Name That Anime” panel was even handing out hotel mints as prizes for correctly answering questions like “what’s the anime where they fight with clothes!!!”
- This still needs verification, but supposedly there are minors being let into the 18+ panels (like “BDSM 101”), which DashCon could easily get sued for allowing. Not that they have the money for it.
- It’s been pointed out that as a Marriott hotel, the Renaissance would have required them to submit their full reservation payment 5 days in advance of the event. Therefore it’s very, very likely that the “$17,000 fundraising” was a huge scam. Because DashCon would’ve had to pay that money 5 days before this weekend or the event wouldn’t even be happening in the first place.
- Furthermore, someone attempted to debunk the letter that DashCon posted to prove that the hotel asked for money. Not all their points are valid (i.e. “RE:” is commonly used for “Regarding”, not just in response to previous communication, and idk but this dude doesn’t strike me as an expert on internal Marriott stationary), but frankly the letter looks sketchy if only because
17000%99% of it is whited out. Is it real? Is it fake? We just don’t know.
- There has been no confirmation that the money donated in cash and via PayPal last night ever made it to the hotel (if that was indeed where it was intended to go).
- People are demanding full or at least partial refunds. Needs verification, but purportedly DashCon has a list at the con where you can sign your name and the amount you donated to be refunded later. Which sounds like a totally effective and not at all easily-abused system.
- Attendees are either in denial saying this is the best con ever or they’re crying and having panic attacks. Welcome to Tumblr.
And as a bonus: DashCon originally ran an IndieGoGo campaign last year to raise $5,000 to start their convention. They raised $4,000. The campaign ended in April 2013 and rewards have still not been sent out (which consisted of tea bags, a couple business cards with your Tumblr URL on them, and if you donated $500+, some knick-knacks from Etsy).
Sounds like the Tumblr convention is just about as terrible as Tumblr itself.